Life Lessons (Episode 1- A tale of Finance)

    


 

    135, 136 and 137... I counted the pile of Bran Packets and started accounting the stock in the daily journal and ledger.

    My Uncle sitting beside me smiled and said, "Those were the days when we used to deal with thousands of packets!".

    I replied," But that's not the case now, we should not stop, because Days may change, the old vibes may return!".

    "Not only this dear", my uncle continued, "Many things have changed. Every decision in our family has actually effected us and led us to where we are today."

    I asked, "decisions? What sort of decisions? And they changed us, really?

    "Financial decisions dear", he continued, " they play an important role in our life. Let me narrate an interesting tale of finance." And he started narrating:

    "Those were days when we are witnessing the bright side of business, combined family, busy daily routines, lesser facilities but royal attire.

   Back in 1987, when your grandfather and his brothers decided to divide properties among themselves, all of them decided to buy a piece of land where we can get our houses together in one place. And finally we bought a piece of land of 1 acre ( which was divided between brothers later). You know what, the cost of a plot then was ₹17500. Soon after the division we bought some home needs including a TV whose cost was the same ₹17500. We actually noted that on those days.

You know what, now, on this date the value of that plot is ₹35lacs, and what is the value of the TV? It's absolute zero."

This small tale completely influenced me and changed the way I percept my financial life.
This story clearly elucidates the difference between Asset and liability, and on other hand the importance of investing.
We often get tempted towards various liabilities like mobile phone, motorcycles, cars etc.

But before we decide to opt for it, lets us take some time to answer this million dollar question-
Is that really required to opt that?
Hope you too got inspired from my family story.
Dear friends, please Comment and share your views!

Comments